Thursday 18 April 2013

Coffee Shops and Vagisil Vaginal Cream

In today’s The Independent (UK Edition) there is an article in the Art & Entertainment section which reports on the latest memoir of an author whose fathering style left his son seeking the help of a therapist (link to the article is below). The article lists the children of numerous authors who have gone on to document how poor their father’s parenting skills were. The article reiterated just how important being a loving father really is. Reading this prompted me to move away from the sullen tone of the article and to focus on the joys of being a father instead; something which will be very personal to each and every one of us. In our household, one thing is assured; my wife and I have never laughed so much as we have in the past (nearly) three years; sometimes with our little one, but mostly at her...in a very loving way of course. The anticipation of what they are going to say or do next is infectious. Whilst bathing my little girl a few months ago, she looked up at me and said “Mommy is called Katie, daddy’s called Big Boy” – words fail me in trying to describe how funny that moment was.

In my line of work, I have quite a bit of time off, which means more daddy-daughter time. I have become an avid fan of taking my little girl to a local coffee shop chain where I spend the time drinking Mocha’s whilst she leisurely sips on her little chino (which the coffee chains’ call Baby Chino’s – frothed whole milk with chocolate sprinkle on top). It’s a great way to just sit and pick the mind of a two-and-a-half-year old. We have conversations involving the most wild imaginations possible! Each and every stage seems to get better and better. I distinctly remember my wife saying during one of the more prominent stages of early development that she wished that our daughter could stay that age forever...and then that feeling came back at the next stage...and the next stage...and the next. Each and every step in her development so far has been a whole new, exciting adventure.




In the next blog I will get back into exploring areas of psychology which are pertinent to understanding our little ones, but for now, I will leave you with my most amusing memory to date...
Shortly after her second birthday, my daughter and I were walking through a well-known pharmaceutical / beauty chain here in the UK. She ran off, and when I found her she was holding a tube of Vagisil. She held it up towards me and asked “my face cream?” I whispered quietly to her that is was not face cream, but rather fanny cream. She lifted the tube above her head and bellowed out “My fanny, my fanny cream” in an embarrassingly loud voice. The lady who was standing a few paces away looked rather perplexed as if to say “what is this father teaching that poor little girl?”...I turned away mortified; what a splendid memory!

**SIDE NOTE**
This blog is now one (whole) week old. I have enjoyed writing it so far, yet there is this surreal position I find myself in – am I writing to an audience at all? Is anyone out there? If you have been reading my blog, please post a little “hi” in the comment block below or a message or a simple “I’m here reading”.  

SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Hi my dear friend,

    I've been reading and enjoying your blog, its great to read of your exploits in fatherhood!

    Hugs
    Trace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Trace; so pleased that you like them. Massive love, me

      Delete
  2. Darron!

    I didn't realise you were such a fluent writer! I have loved every single post; finding it so thoughtful to consider the experiences of development that you are witnessing in contrast to what I am learning about in my own degree! The way each child develops is such a interesting and diverse experience and I am really enjoying reading about the connections that Lilly is so quickly creating!

    Looking forward to more,

    Abby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Abby! Glad to hear that you are enjoying them and getting something out of it. Great to hear from you. Please share any of them that you particularly like or find useful. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi there,

    First of all, I'd like to say thanks for all the information on your blog! Very helpful indeed.


    100% Natural, No Side Effects! Use With Vaginal Tightening Cream for Instant Results!

    This solution gives a complete youthfulness and brings back the vagina into its original shape and enhances lovemaking desire in women.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your post. I’ve been thinking about writing a very comparable post over the last couple of weeks, I’ll probably keep it short and sweet and link to this instead if thats cool. Thanks. Korea personal shopper

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you trying to decide if you want to roast your own coffee for your coffee shop? Are you just opening a coffee shop and find yourself torn between roasting your own coffee beans and buying coffee from someone else? Hopefully I will be able to put it all in perspective so you can make an educated decision. https://www.instagram.com/speedocappuccino/

    ReplyDelete

© Making sense of the unknown leap into fatherhood. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig